Friday 11 June 2010

Well...where did it all start? Last summer, bored with the standard beach holiday I decided to make inroads into my "bucket list". Strange things happen to Women of a Certain Age and suddenly I realised that fifty was approaching, insurance costs were rocketing and my knees were getting dodgier by the day.
In the words of the song, it was clearly "Now or never", so I spent a few happy hours on the computer and ended up signing away the summer of 2010 working in an orphanage in a suburb of Cape Town. Having phoned the charity to pay ( good old flexible friend!), I was persuaded that the add on safari would be a good idea....bliss. Sundowners by a campfire sounded perfect after a few weeks of small children. Except this safari, when details arrived, turned out to be designed for gap year students with non dodgy knees whose idea of a good time clearly involved bungee jumping and sea kayaking. Not a sundowner in sight.
Too late to back out now.
I put all such thoughts out of my mind and concentrated on teaching my class, getting teenage daughter through A level revision and applying for Student Finance.
But suddenly the month is June and it's not "next year" or "next summer" any more...it's "next month".
Watch this space( and if anyone knows of a good knee doctor in Cape Town I'd be grateful!)

2 comments:

  1. I am not too sure if you are very brave.... or very stupid LOL, best of luck it is a brilliant idea really!!

    Rita (Jaygirl) XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woops. LOL You'll enjoy the experience.

    ReplyDelete